Dreams Within Reach

The life of a young theatre artist trying to discover her role in it all. Who am I? What is theatre to me? Among the other things to figure out in life.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Chi-Fringe


THE CHICAGO FRINGE FESTIVAL in Pilsen

Let's just say, "Wow!" What a wonderful way to start out my life in Chicago!

I arrived in Chicago on August 27th and headed to help set-up for Fringe on August 28th. Not yet moved into my apartment. Not yet sure where I was going. I felt insecure about my decision, I must admit, because in my gut I missed my friend Sean. I missed having a close friend with me to share in this new life. I arrived to find that some things I had imagined would pan out would indeed not come to fruition. So I felt insecure. I felt scared about how I was feeling. I can't admit that I was wrong. I just got here. I need to make it here. I can do this...Right?

As soon as I met people at the Chicago Fringe and started to hang out with new friends, all the fear was gone. It does not matter where I am as long as I have theatre in my life. As long as I have theatre, I am home. Which is a pretty awesome thing to discover.

So saturday and sunday were set-up days. Monday was the first day of tech, which I was scared about (sense a pattern?), but it ended up being great!

I had my first auditions on Monday August 30th. And I was surprised at how well they went. I mean they weren't knock you off your feet amazing, but they were pretty good. I even got called back for one of them. MY FIRST AUDITIONS AND I GOT A CALLBACK! It was for a 10 min play festival. And I rocked that call back, too. Now mind you, I didn't get cast. But the whole experience was reaffirming. Almost a sense of validation in that "Hey! I got skillz!" Also it's a good thing I didn't get cast because I do have to find a job that pays...So it's like the world's way of telling me "Yeah, you got it, but you need a job." And I agree. And I thank you.

Anyways, back to Fringe. I met some amazing people. The ensemble for Silken Veils an original play, that had just arrived from Edinburgh Fringe Festival, was amazing. They are originally from California and study at CalArts. Sweetest SM ever! The director and actor of Empanada for a Dream were also wonderful people. They work with Teatro Vista, a Latino theatre in Chicago, and they were really sweet. I think I felt most at home with them because of our Latino roots.

All in all, though, the Fringe festival kept reminding me of how small the world truly is. I met this guy who knows some of my FSU friends because of PSF this past summer. I ran into Sergio more than once because he was involved in one of the shows. I got to see my friend Jenny from two summers ago who was SMing a show at the Festival. It's funny how it all comes together at events like this.

The Chicago Fringe Festival was from Sept 1-5. It was a week long journey for from set-up to strike, but it was something I'll never forget. It was my welcoming into Chicago Theatre. I met some truly amazing people who were there with open arms to just help us new folk get a taste of Chicago. There's nothing like being greeted by theatre. It was then that I knew that this was the city for me. There was so much to offer here. So much more than my personal, emotional life. So much more than right now. Who I will be. Who I will become. What I will learn will be so much from this city. In a year, I'll hardly recognize me and the place I'll be.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment