Dreams Within Reach

The life of a young theatre artist trying to discover her role in it all. Who am I? What is theatre to me? Among the other things to figure out in life.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

$600 Actor/Writer Thing & Chicago Fringe



"Hello actors!

If you are getting this email, it's because you are signed up as an actor in the $600 GTT Actor/Writer Thing!

So what's the rundown? I will explain more as we go along, but here's the general idea:

This is a competition broken down into three different stages over three different weeks. In the first week, you will meet with the writer you have been assigned (you will know when you arrive that evening), and that writer will write you a monologue. Then it's your job to do that monologue to the best of your ability! Some of you will move on, some will not, and it all comes down to the votes of the audience (this is a very good reason to encourage your friends to fill the house so they vote for you!)

In the second week, it's the same deal except not only will you get a writer, but you will get an acting partner as well and you end up doing duets. Again, some will move on, some will not.

In between the second and third week, the writers and actors that are still around will be split into two groups, and you will put together a 20-25 minute play to be performed on that final week. Winners take all!"


What did I get myself into? It was an automatic sense of stress that came over me. It seems like fun but it's so intimidating. Well, at least I'll meet new people. And we really should live our lives doing things that scare us. But this is just. Wow. I'm confident I can do it, but I'm just going to be a complete mess.



Chicago Fringe Festival Schedule has been sent out.

I have SMed shows before. I production managed Small But Fierce. BUT! It has all been in the Annex. I have run shows in the annex. I've never actually gotten a feel for a show in a bigger spaces, or in an actual theatre.

I am moving to Chicago on August 27th. I help with load-in on August 28th. I tech August 29th, 30th, and 31st. I am off Sept 1 and 2, and then working shows Sept 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Basically I will be in charge of a venue. This is scaring me a bit. I am being thrown in to SMing for experienced SMs. Or atleast, that's what it feels like.

My first two weeks in Chicago will be filled with new opportunities and new chances at me freaking out. I am scared. I need to learn to stop being scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment